Monday, January 28, 2013

Week 2 The Workflow Begins



As I begin to think about how the ipads will be utilized in the classroom to support the learning in all subject areas, I begin to think about the apps that the students have explored the last 2 years with one ipad in the classroom. This requires lots of planning on my part and some knowledge of the apps themselves. This is why it is so important to know what apps will deliver the end result of any project. So the apps that I have chosen for my Daily 5 and my Math iStations are ones that my students are familiar with and have explored in a small group setting the last 2 years with 1 ipad. At the elementary level, students still need structure and consistency so that they will become self-directed learners. This is the goal when integrating mobile technologies. Here you will see how I have set up the iStations for Reading Language Arts and Math. The students have been using this management system for two years since I have looped with them. Each app icon gives the student a visual for the daily rotations. I took a screen shot of each of the icons in the iTunes App store and printed them out for the pocket charts. Each day the clips and the group cards are rotated by 2 students who have this job. All of my students have certain jobs that they are responsible for so this helps me manage the pocket charts on a daily basis. Today we began the "workflow" as I modeled what each group was going to work on. Since they knew all about the app, they knew what to do. This year, I'm using a new rule that our pilot group learned during our Apple Training sessions...C3B4Me. This means that when a student has a question about the app or what they are supposed to do, they must see three other people before seeing me to help them with their app. This allows for the students to become problem solvers and for those helping to become the "experts" or members of the S.W.A.T. Team, which I will go over in my next post. I made myself available today throughout the rotations for questions or trouble shooting if needed. My heart was happy seeing how engaged the students were. I learned one thing for sure today....that students really know more than we think they know. They are fearless and this makes my heart go "pitter patter".