Monday, March 25, 2013

Harnessing the Power of Gmail


Gmail in a 1:1 iPad Classroom           

Last week I came across an idea from a colleague of mine who works on another campus on how she was "harnessing the power" of gmail in a 1:1 ipad classroom. I decided to try it out in my classroom and it has changed how I manage my time more effectively when it comes to instruction. I sit down each Sunday afternoon and look at what I'm teaching that week and begin to gather all my resources. Every Monday morning after announcements have been read by my principal, my students get their ipads, open their gmail account and begin reading the days schedule. I give them a short time to ask questions about the days activities or questions about the apps they will be using. They begin their assignments and I begin my small group instruction immediately. If they have any questions, they must C3B4Me classmates as to not interfere with my small groups. There are many savvy experts in my class who always come to the rescue and they love helping others. Here is a sample email I send out on Sunday night or early that Monday morning! Thank you Deanna Edminster for this wonderful idea.