Monday, March 25, 2013

The Flip Class Model With Brainpop Jr.

Brainpop Jr. and the Flip Class Model...Maximizing Instructional Time

Each time science and social studies comes around in my lesson planning, Brainpop Jr. always come to the rescue! How do I use Brainpop Jr. in a flip class model? Several weeks back, we learned all about Civil Rights Heroes in Social Studies and what they contributed to our nations history. Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr. are a just a few we had discussed . Each week, I send out a gmail to my students letting them know what we will be learning in each subject that week. So, I had the students watch the video on their ipads on Rosa Parks before we started the lesson in social studies. After they came back from recess, we were ready to discuss her works. I had shaved off about 20 minutes of instructional time because they had watched the video before going out to recess. They began to complete their assignment on Rosa Parks independently and after they finished the assignment, they took the easy electronic quiz on Brainpop Jr. and I got an instant grade on their quiz. I walked around with my ipad and entered their grade in Powerschool. The seamless integration of mobile device learning and harnessing the power of a flip model lesson saved me lots of instructional time. But the greatest realization was that the flip model lesson is a great example of how teachers can maximize classroom instruction effectively and for students to take ownership of their learning without me instructing all the time.