Saturday, April 26, 2014

Looking Back...What a Difference A Year Makes!

Spring brings lots of exciting learning in my classroom. I can't believe we just have 6 weeks of school left. As I reflect back on this years learning in a mobile 1:1 iPad classroom, I can't help but think about where I was this time last year. I am a looping teacher which means I teach 2nd and 3rd grade bilingual. My third graders last year had the opportunity to use iPads for a short time after our roll out in January. The end of the year was so exciting as I planned new and exciting technology projects for my new 2nd graders coming in this year. I can honestly say that having these devices in a classroom for a whole year has made a HUGE impact on learning! Their confidence level has boosted their enthusiasm for learning in all content areas and they continue to be "fearless learners and leaders"! So here is what I have noticed this year from my students. They come in every morning waiting anxiously to hear what our days schedule will be and if it will involve technology. The questions start at my door before they come in..."what are we learning today Mrs. Lackey? "What projects are we going to be working on this week and the next?" "Can we work on coding?" "Are we going to have another google hangout with someone new?" The list goes on and on. The environment in my classroom this year has impacted their "hunger" for creative learning. I see and feel their excitement and this kind of attitude "inspires" me to continue designing lessons that will challenge and motivate my bilingual students to be 21st century learners! Their eagerness for learning and their desire to be "fearless learners" has inspired me to start my Masters Program this summer in Instructional Technology and Leadership! These are exciting times in education and for a veteran teacher like myself, I KNOW there is so much more that I can do to help teachers and children continue this quest of "digital learning" in what seems to be endless! I am so blessed beyond measure and so proud of what my students have accomplished this year in the world of mobile device learning!